Under 5 and Fat
Today’s share may not apply to you. Not directly anyway. However, if you have children or you are an aunt, uncle, grandparent or just a friend of a youngster you will want to tune into this disturbing reality.
A February 26, 2018 article by Maggie Fox on the NBC News website entitled “America's kids are obese and it's getting worse” addresses the harsh reality of young (very young!) kids experiencing obesity like never before.
Unless you are living under a rock, you’ve likely heard the concerning statistic about teenage obesity. that. This article re-stated that “More than 40 percent of 16 to 19-year-olds are obese”. I think we’d all agree that’s bad! However, the lines that really jump out in this article are these:
- The most severe obesity is hitting more and more very small children
- those under the age of 5, they found.
- 26 percent of 2 to 5-year-olds were overweight and more than 15 percent were obese.
Hello? Did you note those ages they are referencing? The sad truth that comes to mind is that these young kids (toddlers) have NO CHOICE about their food intake. You may not want to hear this, but these alarming, pathetic and life-threatening statistics fall on the shoulders of US … the adults … the parents … caretakers and decision makers who influence and lead these children. Ouch!
Unfortunately, there is no evidence of the trends moving in the right direction either. Despite politicians and policy makers trying to raise awareness, encourage fitness or make un-healthy food and drinks less available statistics are NO better. Why not? Why have these efforts not made a difference?
The truth is nobody can do it for you.
These shocking statistics about little kids under 5 years old clearly indicate the need for a revolutionary shift in mindset and LIFESTYLE. We realize that is difficult to do. It rarely happens overnight. Like we say all the time, it takes time and is a step-by-step process. It’s a journey … but it’s worth it!
Since that’s the case, please let us share a few suggestions that we could all use to help turn the tide on these disturbing child statistics.
- Choose to live by example. We all know that children mimic and mirror those who raise and influence them. What are you demonstrating?
- Take time to learn about strategic eating that helps the body get into and function in a fat burning metabolism. Need help with this? It’s what we do!
- If you have a weight challenge yourself, consider the ripple effect. Make your REASON (referencing last week’s “WHY” about more than just you. Consider the reality that the lifestyle which may be causing your overweight or obese condition may very well be leading your kid(s) down the same road.
- Don’t assume they will “grow out of it” or “lose the baby fat”. The article referenced above bluntly states this: “It's a lifetime sentence. Overweight kids usually grow up to be overweight as adults”. Do you want this for your child?
Lastly, please know that the purpose of this writing is NOT to make you or anyone feel bad. We realize that like most parents and caretakers, you surely love, love, love those little ones you are raising. You are probably passionate about helping them be their very best. Just the same, we are passionate about the health of the next generation. With that in mind, let’s work together (as adults) to make the future brighter and healthier for these little ones. They deserve it!
Need help with a personal weight issue? Or, need help learning and living in a way that has the potential to help you AND your family? Just click or call today!
Article Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/americans-kids-are-obese-it-s-getting-worse-n851246